Local Area Information
Selimiye Village - A lovely, quiet & picturesque seaside village that remains the epitome of an authentic Turkish summer holiday. Hectic tourism has not reached Selimiye and life ticks along at a slow village pace. Daily life shows locals out on their fishing boats, in the fields or escaping the summer heat in one of the tea houses dotted along the main road.
During the season the locals harvest olives, olive oil, almonds, oregano, and honey. All of these products are delicious, well priced and available for puchase in the village.
The village follows a natural curve around Selimiye Bay, with a small old harbour for the local fishing boats and a surprisingly cosmopolitan marina for the yachts and the famous Turkish gulets. The harbour boasts a great selection of seafood restaurants, Turkish lokantas, cafes, craft shops and bohemian clothes shops. All of the guests from Villa Gelincik love the mix of locals, yachties and the overall feel of the village.
Bozburun Peninsula - The general location for both Villa Gelincik and Villa Han. A short drive from Marmaris but a wonderful area to experience the real Turkey. Covered in Pine, Almond and Olive Trees that provides a vital source of income to the local population.
Building restrictions are very tight on the Peninsula, hence the minimal number of hotels and holiday villas along this part of the coast.
Other villages along the peninsula include the coastal villages of;
- Bozburun (Lovely harbour, famous for boat building and a great angle on the setting sun for an aperitif!)
- Sogut (Fishing village and quite off the beaten track)
- Serce Liman (A one-taverna isolated bay, reached from Tasilica, very isolated!)
Also the rural towns of;
- Hisaronu (Sunsets, sandy beaches, sailing)
- Orhaniye (Farms, honey, yacht anchorage, famous Kizkumu sandspit)
- Bayir (Huge wishing tree and gateway for Çiftlik Beach)
- Turgut (The local carpet factory, lots of carpets and educational)
- Tasilica (Incredible views out to sea going up the hillside from Sogut!)
Marmaris - A bustling and cosmopolitan tourist hub that services the whole region. 40-45 minutes drive from Villa Gelincik. Great for shopping, cafes, pubs, nightlife, shopping, beach water sports, water parks and some very nice restaurants in Netsel Marina. Did I mention shopping!!?
In the past 2 years the local council have spent millions of lira paving and transforming the sea front area and "boardwalk". You can literally walk for miles along the waters edge, passing restaurants, shops and boats galore. In the evening the harbour area is full of colour, conversation and carpets! There are many quality restaurants along the waterfront including;
- Bono Marina - modern euro style bistro
- Yunus Cafe - as above
- Neighbours - unassuming frontage but a great fish restaurant
- Pineapple - quality restaurant & service in Netsel Marina
The new park in the heart of the town has a wonderful water and light show every evening around 9pm.
Marmaris also has two waterparks which can be a good place to take the children to burn some energy off!