Local Area Information
Selimiye Village - The village is a small traditional Turkish fishing village nestled in a large bay and surrounded by spectacular mountains . It cannot get any more picturesque . The small fishermen’s cottages have developed into cafes, restaurants and curiosity shops. The tiny harbour attracts traditional wooden gulets, small yachts as well as the local fishing boats. Many of these have been converted into small excursion boats which can be hired to explore the numerous bays . It’s a traditional and beautiful village with several sophisticated restaurants such as the Sardunya Fish Restaurant which is located by the harbour. There are also Lokantas which are very small family run restaurants with only four or five dishes to choose from but the food is freshly cooked and delicious.
In the village there are grocers such as Migros (a Turkish supermarket chain) with everything that is needed for a self catering holiday. There is even a barbers. They still build gulets in Selimiye, and the ship yard is still plying it’s trade. There is nothing nicer than sitting in one of the small cafes in the harbour watching the world go by.
Bozburun Peninsula - The general location for both Villa Gelincik and Villa Han. A short drive from Marmaris, but a wonderful area to experience the real Turkey. Covered in Pine, Almond and Olive Trees that provides a vital source of income to the local population.
Building restrictions are very tight on the Peninsula, hence the minimal number of hotels and holiday villas along this part of the coast.
Other villages along the peninsula include the coastal villages of;
- Bozburun (Lovely harbour, famous for boat building and a great angle on the setting sun for an aperitif!)
- Sogut (Fishing village and quite off the beaten track)
- Serce Liman (A one-taverna isolated bay, reached from Tasilica, very isolated!)
Also the rural towns of;
- Hisaronu (Sunsets, sandy beaches, sailing)
- Orhaniye (Farms, honey, yacht anchorage, famous Kizkumu sandspit)
- Bayir (Huge wishing tree and gateway for Çiftlik Beach)
- Turgut (The local carpet factory, lots of carpets and educational for the kids)
- Tasilica (Incredible views out to sea going up the hillside from Sogut!)
Marmaris - A bustling and cosmopolitan tourist hub that services the whole region. 40-45 minutes drive from Villa Gelincik. Great for shopping, cafes, pubs, nightlife, shopping, beach water sports, water parks and some very nice restaurants in Netsel Marina. Did I mention shopping!!?
In the past 2 years the local council have spent millions of lira paving and transforming the sea front area and "boardwalk". You can literally walk for miles along the waters edge, passing restaurants, shops and boats galore. In the evening the harbour area is full of colour, conversation and carpets! There are many quality restaurants along the waterfront including;
- Bono Marina - modern euro style bistro
- Yunus Cafe - as above
- Neighbours - unassuming frontage but a great fish restaurant
- Pineapple - quality restaurant & service in Netsel Marina
The new park in the heart of the town has a wonderful water and light show every evening around 9pm.
Marmaris also has two waterparks which can be a good place to take the children to burn some energy off! There is also a newly built adventure park near the cruise port of Marmaris ideal for all ages. The park is perfect for families your children will love the zip line and climbing wall.